MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
rover_45
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another MoT pass with a minor defect, cv boot deteriorating. not too much of an issue, I can get a split boot for ease of fitting at a tenner.
Just 60869 on the clock, new brakes all round, cam belt, oil and filters., a very genuine example.
There are only fourteen 1.8 45 impressions currently registered in the UK, and I know why... £325 a year tax just because she is an 03 and has the steptronic gearbox. Had she been registered a year earlier or manual it would be half!

·
Registered
mg_tf
19 Posts
I’d change both cv boots on the same drive shaft and get a proper one the half ones do save time but if you’re keeping it longer term do it properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,141 Posts
There are only fourteen 1.8 45 impressions currently registered in the UK, and I know why... £325 a year tax just because she is an 03 and has the steptronic gearbox. Had she been registered a year earlier or manual it would be half!
That conclusion doesn't really hold up to examination.

I assume that your figure of 14 (12 taxed and 2 on SORN) comes from 'Howmanyleft' - the figures from which are widely known to be misleading/inaccurate for various reasons (although in the case of the Stepspeed versions are probably correct).

That site shows that there were only 59 45 Impression 3 Stepspeed registered to start with, so a survival rate to date of nearly 24%. The same source also shows a total of 104 45 Impression 3 'S' (73 taxed and 91 on SORN) out of a total originally registered of 497, which is about 21% survival rate. Admittedly, some of those on SORN will be in breakers yards in the process of being dismantled, but (from the evidence of my tracking of MG ZRs) there will also be a high proportion of the cars registered which will not figure on the HML list because they are showing as simply 'unlicensed' many of these will have been scrapped and not properly declared to DVLA, but a significant numberare likely to still be in existence and stood in a garage or garden with an owner who can't be bothered to declare them SORN (and with whom the DVLA have not yet caught up to issue the fine for not making the SORN declaration).

By comparison, the non CVT versions of the Impression 3 and Impression 3 'S' show a 23% and 27% survival rate respectively, which is not significantly better than the auto versions imo.

Contrast those figures with the survival rate for the 2002 Stepspeed version of the Impression 2 which shows only 4 survivors out of 49 registered, and the Impression 2 'S' which there are currently shown to be a measly 15 left out of 109 originally registered, and I cannot see how it can be concluded that the higher rate of VED for the 2003 cars has any significance. Regardless of the rate of VED, it is one of the lowest annual costs for most car owners - insurance and fuel will be greater, and it is probable that the total for ongoing maintenance (servicing, brake replacement and tyres) will also be a greater yearly cost averaged out over the time of ownership for most people.

Personally, I think a higher than 20% survival rate for a 16 year old car is pretty good?

·
Registered
rover_45
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
. Regardless of the rate of VED, it is one of the lowest annual costs for most car owners - insurance and fuel will be greater, and it is probable that the total for ongoing maintenance (servicing, brake replacement and tyres) will also be a greater yearly cost averaged out over the time of ownership for most people.

Personally, I think a higher than 20% survival rate for a 16 year old car is pretty good?
My insurance is under £200 a year, fuel is about £20 a month, (the joys of country living and non town motoring)
However...my gripe is the fact that VED is double because of age and transmission no emissions. My 2.7 Ford Maverick was only £150 a year yet did 22mpg.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
I agree, VED charges are a robbery on older cars. Just be glad it’s not a diesel, as they are being banned all over the place in years to come!

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
......my gripe is the fact that VED is double because of age and transmission no emissions.....
Regardless of what you seem to think, the rate of VED is based on emissions. It is not because it is an auto - it is because automatic gearboxes absorb more of the power than a manual, and consequently use more fuel per mile than the same car/engine with a manual gear change. Therefore the Stepspeed versions have a higher CO2 g/km than the manual - at 203g/km, the 45 1.8 Stepspeed is therefore in VED band K whilst the 1.8 manual which is 179g/km is in band J (the upper limit for band J is 200g/km).

After comparing the VED rate for a 2002 45 1.8 Stepspeed with the rate for a 2005 45 1.8 Stepspeed, I can't find any evidence that a car registered a year earlier would have a VED cost any different; both come out at 203g/km, and a current VED rate of £325.

£200 insurance, plus 12 months fuel at £20/month is £440, before you add in wear and tear replacements such as tyres, brakes, routine servicing and any other sundry costs and replacements. Also, most people will probably use a car a lot more than you appear to do, so the VED is not that big a proportion of the overall cost. Average mileage in the UK last year was about 7500, so for the cost of petrol translates to about £1000/year @ 40mpg.

·
Registered
rover_45
39 Posts
Another MoT pass with a minor defect, cv boot deteriorating. not too much of an issue, I can get a split boot for ease of fitting at a tenner.
Just 60869 on the clock, new brakes all round, cam belt, oil and filters., a very genuine example.
I have one of the other 14
All sorts of problems with the steptronic gearbox
Just waiting for it to die completely before I scrap it and make it 13!!!

·
Registered
rover_45
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After comparing the VED rate for a 2002 45 1.8 Stepspeed with the rate for a 2005 45 1.8 Stepspeed, I can't find any evidence that a car registered a year earlier would have a VED cost any different; both come out at 203g/km, and a current VED rate of £235.
It's £325 for an 03 1.8 cvt .....£265 for a car over 1549cc registered before 1/3/2001 regardless of transmission.
  • Cars more than 40 years old are exempt
  • Cars first registered before 1 March 2001 are taxed on engine size
  • If your car was first registered between 1 March 2001 and 1 April 2017, how much car tax (VED) you pay depends on the car's official CO2 emissions

I just bought another 45. it's a one owner from new 2004 1.4 Impression 3 manual with 35k on the clock and FSH
    Thought the tax would be cheaper on that, well it is by £100 a year....but still more than my friends 1999 75 Diesel 2.0. robbing swines. I suppose I could run the 1.8 on the 1.4 plates...same colour :)

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
I apologise - I must have mis-typed the rate in my earlier post and it came out as 235 instead of 325. I would edit and correct it, but this crappy XenForo forum software no longer allows us to edit posts.

However, it doesn't alter the fact that your claim that had your 45 1.8 cvt been registered in 2002 rather than 2003 the VED would have been cheaper is simply not true.

I have no idea where you are finding the information you have apparently quoted, but the current rating system is the same for all vehicles registered between March 1st 2001 and March 1st 2017. I have specifically checked the individual registration numbers of a 2002 registered 45 1.8 cvt and a 2004 registered 45 1.8 cvt and the DVLA vehicle tax rate calculator gives a current VED rate of £325 per year for both of them.

A manual gearbox 45 1.8 would be £260.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,762 Posts
My Dad's 1.4 25 Tax is stupid, i'm glad I got my ASTRA 1.7 CDTi as it is only £30 a year, which is handy as the MOT was pricey this year and a £200+ Tax bill would have broke me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts