MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
^^^

That.

Many insurance firms now recognse that enthusiasts are more likely to look after their wheels and therefore less likely to stack their vehicle - thus commanding a lower premium than their more reckless cohorts.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Mine passed yesterday with the decat. They never mentioned it at all, they fitted it for me back in November too and we discussed it then. :lol:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I was in at a longlife dealership today booking my exhaust and they said from March onwards that even diesels need a decat. They said that they changed it about mid-March. Anyone had any issues?

·
Registered
9,820 Posts
Mine is due shortly, so i shall find out. But when i asked them about it last year, the owner smirked and just said "don't worry about it" :)

·
formerly thewigster
2,413 Posts
Same here my mot is next tuesday,Crossing my fingers that a decat wont be a issue.

Quick someone email Vosa...

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,627 Posts
Mine has just been and sailed through an mot today and mine has a gutted cat, but as its my local garage they knew it was gutted and still passed it.

·
formerly thewigster
2,413 Posts
No fear they have not all of a sudden changed the MOT rules regarding Diesels and decats,Mine went through without any mention of the decat.

But things could of turned out different because a VOSA inspector turned up and wanted to go over my car lucky for me the owner of the garage said no to doing my car as i was sitting and waiting while it was being done,the owner told the guy i had to be gone as soon as the mot was done.

·
Registered
499 Posts
i have a gutted cat on my car, would it be better to get a proper de-cat pipe now ?
A gutted cat actually works better than a decat pipe as it preserves your exhaust geometry and helps the cylinders to evacuate properly.

What's more you don't have to tell your insurers. You're not to know if the inside of it 'fell apart'.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A gutted cat actually works better than a decat pipe as it preserves your exhaust geometry and helps the cylinders to evacuate properly.

What's more you don't have to tell your insurers. You're not to know if the inside of it 'fell apart'.
Sooooo torn now, got a Dark Ice decat ready to be fitted, and all the gear to gut my cat...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Thinking of gutting my cat, what have you guys used to bash it out... Iron rod do the job?

Isn't going to pull up EML on MK2 ZR is it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The decat pipe is better flow characterristics over Gutting the original cat and mine passed the mot with a lot of mods including decat, sdi injectors free flow back box and a remap and still got 2.6 on the smoke test with a fail rate of 3.0 and she smokes quite heavy so no probs there they never once mentioned my decat or anything my mk 1 zs sailed through with not one advisory for a 10 year old mg what a good girl

And will def not put any eml light on gutting the cat

·
Registered
331 Posts
well done deano for ascertaining that information. Now everyone can tell the pedantic MOT testers to *******.

I hope this does get stickied so should this:

DO NOT GUT CATALYTIC CONVERTERS THEY ARE WORTH MONEY.

rep points will be added when I can do it!
Yoy arw ******** joking I gutted my cat thinking derv ones are worthess :cus:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've had my car , ZRtd for 2 mot's now , and have never had any probs with my decat pipe . Nor did the tester mention its absence .....

·
Banned
242 Posts
All,

I emailed VOSA to clarify the decat situation regarding diesels and here's the response:

VERY GOOD NEWS !!!

As far as pollution goes - very bad news. Petrol was always cleaner. Just had more of the particulates they cared to mention, and much less of the particulates they chose NOT to mention. Generally the most harmful ones.

Hey ho.... let me get my hacksaw :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
depending on your mot tester they are surposed to fail if not cat is present if there was one at time of manufacturer the rules have changed again this year

21 - 40 of 56 Posts