MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
This is my first post so looking for some help or ideas please.
Having had the engine out last year for cylinder head gasket,clutch replace, cam carrier leak and had the suspension units re gassed by Kevin in Stockport (wow what difference). At last the MGF was water and oil tight :).......until June this year and I noticed some drops of oil in the drive...which was getting worse:(.
Nothing for it but to find where it was coming from took all the covers off used some of the de-greaser from screwfix (great stuff) fully cleaned down the engine. I thought I would just start it up to help dry off the water and by the time I'd got out of the car and stepped back to the engine bay there was oil leaking and it looked like it was coming from the top right hand rear of the cam carrier not again:( May be I had missed the oil from the wash down so stopped the engine re-cleaned it made sure it was dry and no oil, started the engine and again oil between the VVC HCU and the cam cover it was coming out of the HCU at the joint.
I tried the mounting bolts but they were all up tight so it must be a gasket / seal leaking. Off with the HCU when I got it on the bench I noticed that the gasket/ rubber seal between the top of the HCU ,the piston bit, and the base the gasket was A:- very hard and B:- there was evidence of the rubber 'spreading' over the edges of the metal channel. I put some engineering blue on the plate and gently pressed it back in place and yes there were several points of no contact all around where the gasket had over spill.
I now need the gasket for the top of the bottom plate its easy to get the bottom gasket between the plate and the cam carrier but I cannot find one for the top and I'd like the shaft seal as well if possible, it was available as a kit LXB100060 has any one a contact or ideas where I can get one from ? I've tried all of the usual suppliers but no joy svsn had a look at the Lotus suppliers and they dont seem to have any.
I have thought about laser cutting an oil-tite paper style gasket or laser cut a mould and pipe in some form of rubber sealant that could make a gasket but I dont want to be doing this again so would like a one shot fix if possible any ideas?
Sorry for the long story could have been shorter but I would not have vented my 'passion' .
Paul.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its leak free:). after trying to get the upper seal / gasket on the HCU base plate I finally managed to find one from a Lotus supplier looks like Xpart are trying to get some more made end of the year beginning of next. could not find the shaft seal for the HCU piston shaft, I managed to get one that fitted, needed a slight modification with a Dremel to take of some of the rubber off around the outside of the seal so that it fitted the housing. I've been for a run and its leak free and revs to 7000 smoothly so must all be working OK now.
I found that a 13.7 x 24 x 5 mm seal although its designed for rotary shaft, well only time will tell how long it will last.
one 'mod' I did to the housing was to drill a 2 mm hole in the seal housing (old seal is on the right ).
20200722_092354.jpg
base so that in the future if I need to change out the shaft seal its easy just to tap it out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts