MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 17 months off the road, out `Tomcat VVC' is now set for the road again,

(also as the weather is like an `Indian Summer' at the moment, we felt is was a good time & bearing in mind the body is now in mint condition needing care/respect)

I sorted the insurance today, we will then do the mot in the next few weeks & then after finally setting up the road tax, all will be in order again!

*the good news today is that insuring our two cars we now use, is cheaper in cost, than the total cost of the `Tomcat' on its own back in 2013.... result!!

I also had the `TC' out of the garage (in our back alley the other day), it seemed ok, so with some finally checks to do before the mot & then fingers crossed...!!

can't wait, oy have I missed using the old `TC',

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
it seems our Tomcat is keen to get back on the road...

as I did all the various checks needed before the mot (now booked for the start of November) today in the sunshine, before the rain comes over the weekend lol....

all the lights/switches, wipers/washers are ok, the indicaters took a while to charge the flasher unit as being unused for so long, which is something that I have not seen before, as this is the first of our cars that we have stood up for a period,

the Tomcats can suffer from electric window problems, to help sstop this happening I find its best to use them plenty (as this keeps the lifter systems clear/lubricated), both are in good order on our car,

the fluid levels are good now too (only needing a top up of screen wash),

I also replaced the alarm remote/fob with a new CR2032 battery to be safe, however, the radio remote also needs a new CR2025 battery lol (to be expected as it is the same one that came with the radio back when I bought it in 2006...)

NB so far `jobs a good one'...

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more jobs done today,

the battery needed a conditioning charge so after a few hours the charger confirmed its condition a `A ok', I was pleased about that, as also in 2009 the battery was a larger type fitted rather than the smaller budget type which tend to last about 3 years, the one fitted was well worth the extra money as 5 years on & nearly 2 years stood up incleded, it has lasted well, it is a good plan to re-charge the battery on a regular basis to keep it well bullied & ib good working order as a result,

I was looking at `solar battery chargers' (to keep the battery topped up from general discharge etc, I found an 8.5v one (its ok to go up to 10v max as a rule) which was £13.99+ free p&p from `Amarzon', so once I get the old `TC' back in action, I will see....

NB its a slow but involved process re initiating a car back into use again lol...

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Well after all this time surely a few days won't hurt. Around here this would be the wrong time to out a car back onto the road with fresh paint due to the havest still going one Maize for Bio fule, Potatoes and Sugar Beet.. A bit of rain and the roads turn into mud tracks. Despite the law saying they are supposed to clean it off.

My poor MGF looks like it's never been washed and we have only had a couple of days rain.

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after all this time surely a few days won't hurt. Around here this would be the wrong time to out a car back onto the road with fresh paint due to the havest still going one Maize for Bio fule, Potatoes and Sugar Beet.. A bit of rain and the roads turn into mud tracks. Despite the law saying they are supposed to clean it off.

My poor MGF looks like it's never been washed and we have only had a couple of days rain.
yes thats it,

I also grew in the country/farming on the `North East' coast, we could clean our cars each day of the week if we wanted & they still looked in need of it lol...

also after a couple of days bad weather/rain over here being north of the Humber, even our works `Fiesta' was in need of a clean, but in ,

in fairness their are a few ok days still left to be enjoyed at the moment, which is not bad really for the start of the wintery period,

NB also its best to own a garage, keeps yout Tomcat snug lol....!!

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well just with just two & a half weeks left to go to the mot, I have being busy doing some more prep work on the old `TC',

the fuel was in need of topping up so as its SORN at present its a case of filling it up will a fuel can at a time, still its spreads the cost & fuel is £1.24 at the supermarkets at the momment, so thats lower tha it has been for a while, also the tyres need checking but I'll do that the day befor the big day....

the paperwork so far is all in order I got the paperwork needed to re tax it on the new system, from the PO & completed it inline with the date I want it to start/the mot,

NB well all I need now is some patience/fingers crossed a good mot result...

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
othe battery discharging matter, due to long periods of being stood for our Tomcat is now dealt with,

as on Friday I made a trip to our local `Maplin' electrical & as luck would have it they had a `Solar Charger' on offer, for only £9.99.... I read the reviews on the net & a guy owning a Porsche had used one with good results when his car was unused for long periods....

I first fitted it to the battery using the Crocodile clip method, then laid it on the roof of the car over night to run it, as luckly our garage has a window, so as a result a fair amount of `UV light' comes in to feed the panel enabling the charging process to happen,

then yesterday I visted our local car part shop with list of bits required to perminately wire a loom to the battery with an `SAE connector' to disconnect the panel, when the car is in use, so I took the cigarette lighter socket option/piece included in the solar charger box (which as it is no good for our `VVC' model as the lighter socket is only live with the key in the ignition! making it unsuitable for a feed of solar charging when sttod up), using an inline 5amp bullet style fuse & some live/earth connectors (costing a few pounds only to buy), I made up a loom suitable for the job as per the ready made option available (which are very pricey) & also this is a much safer option for long term charging,

I also got a `3mtr long SAE connector extention cable' from `Maplins' as well last night, allowing me to mount the solar panel directly on the glass of our garage window (on the inside) & now the chargers `LED light' flashes blue, for around 12 hours a day (previously for maybe only 6 hours, due to the obscured postion of being laid on the roof of the car), also I can now see it from the house which saves checking on the charging progress from time to time,

also this place will be better as the winter light reduceses & will utilise the available uv light as much as possible, for the best charging results...

NB so a good result (also a saving to the cost of mains electricity in the long run too....), also there are some great tools available on the retail arena these days!!

·
Registered
cityrover
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
our Tomcat is through its MOT!!

it failed on only one issue, the handbrake provided it 12% of its normal use, so after a referb on the rear brakes with some new pads as well, all was well again....

*a great result result, bearing in mind it has been off the road for so long....

NB so tomorrow we are taking the Tomcat to the seaside for a day out.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts