MG-Rover.org Forums banner

441 - 448 of 448 Posts

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,889 Posts
Link does not activate for me. Still puzzled that in my "preview" and post subsequenty, all illustrations loud and clear. Not now though....:unsure:

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,889 Posts
I'm finding this new format user unfriendly. I clicked on your details and no send message facility option as was once the case.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Over the past couple of weeks I have been getting the "perforated" sills cut out and patched on two little Rovers. A Rover 25 and a 214 respectively owned by my two sons.

The 214 was patched today and I was able to take a few images by flash camera in the dark just before my older son drove it away.

These images show the work involved. My son was pleased with his 214 which needed an extensive patch fully one metre long under the nearside sill, mainly to cover the area directly under the B Pillar.

When we had a chance to look at the welding work, we were pleased with the job. Quite neat and tidy and a vast improvement over what things were like before the repairs. Yes, better end product than I had expected. Very pleased especially considering what we were charged. About £220 for both cars in total. The Rover 25 needed both sides doing including the tricky area of the rear wheel arch. That car passed the Mot soon after. The 214's MoT due in a week or so.

Boy oh Boy... Have I had my fill of sills lately. One of the rear arches on my 620ti may need some welding... Rubbish British cars. It's only just over twenty years old..... :)
Very good job. Well done mate! (y)
You would be amazed to notice that none of my 3 Rovers had or has any hint of rust.
I think British cars were not particularly badly made, not worse than any other: just a big difference with weather & parking conditions. Our weather is rather dry (but at the moment, one entire week of rain which is barely seen here!) and until now both my cars were garaged & dry. At the moment I need a solution for I've got three now!

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,889 Posts
My comment about British cars was very "tongue in cheek". They are nowhere near as bad as our "unbiased" UK media negativity over too many years would have you believe. In fact over a lifetime of car ownership and use, including numerous company cars, my experiences using and working on them is mainly very favourable compared to foreign product. These include both French and German product.

The two cars featured in my post were cheap purchases. Not much more than loose change relatively speaking. The Silver 02-Reg Rover 25 bought with suspect damaged Cylinder Head Gasket ten years ago when my younger son needed transport to-from UNI in Bristol during his impoverished student days. I fixed that 25 and ten years on, still giving him reliable daily driver use every day. How bad is that. Being his first car, it's had a few digs and scrapes but, despite that, serves its purpose faultlessly.

The blue Rover 214 was even cheaper and used as a "hack" by my older son for duties he did not want his other cars to do. Those include a Lotus Elise and Rover 620ti. Bought well over six years ago now. Another project bought for little money needing damaged Head Gasket renewal which my son did soon after getting it. Reliable and economical motoring for little cost. The silver one passed the MoT soon after the sill welding work. Fitted with new UNIROYAL Rainsport 3 tyres the car handles and drives superbly considering how old it is and well over 100,000 miles on the clocks. Cars like this are superb value for getting about on any journey, long or short.

With near continuous rain over the past week or so, those Rainsport 3 tyres do what it says on the tin. Recommended.

441 - 448 of 448 Posts