MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1081 - 1100 of 1129 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
266 Posts
Front bumper off my MGTF. Fitted front fogs at last! in the bumper recesses when the large bolts hold the bumper on, fitter some DLR LED's to replace the ones which were originally fitted wher the fogs now reside.

Then fitted new headlights.

Hopefully the bumper will not have to be removed for some time!

Finally, fitted ScanGuage in its final position.

Have you any pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
mg_tf
184 Posts
Hi.

Yes I have a couple pf pics, but cannot workout how to post. I do not use any web pages for images as they are held on my harddrive.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Front bumper off my MGTF. Fitted front fogs at last! in the bumper recesses when the large bolts hold the bumper on, fitter some DLR LED's to replace the ones which were originally fitted wher the fogs now reside.

Then fitted new headlights.

Hopefully the bumper will not have to be removed for some time!

Finally, fitted ScanGuage in its final position.
Yes I have my fogs to fit along with lots of other jobs. How did you find removing the front bumper? I struggled with a couple of corroded screws that would not budge the last time I took one off. Hopefully mine will be a little easier. Well....I can hope.
Did you wire in to the bcu or did you do it via the side lights?
Any advice taken gladly. :D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Accelerator cable

Finally got my stiff accelerator cable sorted out, a pigs ear of a job on a left hand drive TF !!! Extra cable length and the pedal bracket bolts are almost inaccessible, thank goodness I used to go potholing!

Anyway, a new cable helped, but even so the pedal was stiff hard to push, so I tried partially releasing one of the 2 springs on the throtle body, eased it round onto the throttle stop, so about 45 degrees lest tight. That helped a bit, but then decided to look at the spring on the pedal bracket, It was much too stiff as all it has to do is bring up the pedal when you take your foot off, so moved the attachment point to shorten its travel (rewelded it at the same time as the attachment for the spring looked like it was going to fall off) and now it almost feels like a modern car!!!:wink:

·
Registered
mg_tf
184 Posts
Yes I have my fogs to fit along with lots of other jobs. How did you find removing the front bumper? I struggled with a couple of corroded screws that would not budge the last time I took one off. Hopefully mine will be a little easier. Well....I can hope.
Did you wire in to the bcu or did you do it via the side lights?
Any advice taken gladly. :D
Hi Batoutofhull

Removal of the bumper is easy as I have done it quite a few times. Yes initially the wheel arch screws were badly corroded. New screw and plenty of copper grease! Had to make my own wiring harness, not a problem and followed a wiring diagram published on this forum (if I remeber correctly)

Managed to obtain seconhand mounting brackets which matched my bumper exactly. SS screwws and a blob of black silicon completed the fix.

Yes I did splice into the side-light wire. However, speaking to the mechanic/garage that does my MOT he said it is not necessary! It is easy, so, the choice is yours.

Hope that helps. Regards

Robert

·
Registered
mg_tf
605 Posts
Yesterday replaced a rear subframe mount. Got her high enough to work under, and had picked up a set of cobalt drills as one (then the second) bolt had sheared. Took all afternoon to drill'em out slow and steady. The helicoils took ten minutes to place, and new mount fitted. Can't think of the last job I did where the time difference between dismantling and reassembly was so big.
Today, stripped down and serviced all the brakes as the MOT fail included poor handbrake and a lazy front offside caliper. No longer pulls left on braking, but still not hugely impressed by the handbrake.

·
Registered
mg_tf
198 Posts
Just returned from a very enjoyable c700 mile round trip to Brittany in the 2003 TF. Now into the 36k miles!
Temperatures still at 30 degrees in the early evening did test the car - and us, but we both came through.
This has been the first long run in the car over 18 months of ownership.
Great.

·
Registered
mg_tf
56 Posts
Corrected the rear tracking on my TF after replacing the spherical bushes and fitting new ball joints on the long link track control arm earlier this year. The handling is now epic!!! Feels super taught and direct.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
MOT failed on Tuesday on excess play in O/S front lower ball-joint.

Parts arrived-I bought the whole kit of uppers and lowers but sadly, the deep socket didn't-so I had stripped it last night, drilled the rivets out today (what a sod) and fitted new ball-joint.
I'd like to say the car drove better than it ever has done, but little difference felt (which isn't a bad-thing) but-the occasional knock has gone!
So, I gained something and got my retest.

While Im on the subject-I have to say that every bolt/nit was well and truly rusted and the threads needed chasing or re-tapping the clear them.
The anti-roll bar does need to be released but only on one side that you are working on.
A small jack is handing to put the loads on the tapers when re-assembling.
I have a small 12v drill and impact-driver set that my kids bought me for my birthday from Screw-fix-its amazing! Its small and just the job to chain-drill out. It also just about right size to fit between the wishbone and top suspension mount-albeit at a slight angle.

Be ready to use plenty of plus-gas!

Job done- MOT retest passed- the Inspector thought id changed both upper and lower because the top was so clean...thats what an oily-rag does.
He also complimented my under-sealing and said its not often seen these days but I said- Old habits die hard- its done for a reason and not just to cover up defects!

Attachments

·
Registered
mg_tf
605 Posts
Rear offside brake pipe changed. Undoing the union at the T-Piece was a bit of a challenge- rusted up tight and not much room to get at it.
Once that came loose the rest was ok. Wiggled pipe out, measured, made up new pipe with CuNiFer and SS unions. Almost finished it last night but got beat by the midges!
List of MOT fails almost done!

·
Registered
mg_tf
605 Posts
Fixed the horn.
Had been ignoring it, as it was 'obviously' just a fuse and easy fix.
Read the handbook last night to discover it clearly wasn't a fuse, as it's shared and everything else worked.
Thanks to the info on here tracked it to the rotary coupler. Replaced it with the coupler from my dead 115 and horn working again.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Decided to get my TF 160 fired up as thinking of putting it back on the road...been ready for an MOT for two years :D Wouldn't start, not even a click on the starter motor, tried wiggling the spade connector which is the usual cause on my other TF and F, no joy, tried tapping solenoid with a long bar no joy, tried tapping starter motor still no joy...turned out to be the 10amp fuse in fuse box under steering wheel had blown...now all up and running.....tomorrows job will be to shuffle all my MG's around as its sitting back of the pile at the moment :(

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Insured my TF 160 and took my TF135 for MOT...it past :)
Always a great feeling but looking at your garage, MOT and insurance is what we live with- i have the same problem
Having suffered a write-off on one of mine- the premiums all go up regardless of fault!! (my R1 was knocked over by some roofers in a van)

·
Registered
mg_tf
56 Posts
Finally got round to fitting my newly reupholstered seats. I opted for a black and red colour combination and the artisan that made them even embroiled the MG logo on the backrest. I also replaced the solid “spring” with tension springs in the seat base pad to give a slightly lower seat height. To say I’m delighted is an understatement. The person who did them is a designer and garment maker and this was her first set of seat covers and I would say that the quality is top draw.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Finally got round to fitting my newly reupholstered seats. I opted for a black and red colour combination and the artisan that made them even embroiled the MG logo on the backrest. I also replaced the solid “spring” with tension springs in the seat base pad to give a slightly lower seat height. To say I’m delighted is an understatement. The person who did them is a designer and garment maker and this was her first set of seat covers and I would say that the quality is top draw.
Got any photos?

·
Registered
mg_tf
56 Posts
I
Got any photos?

I do, but I have never posted any advice I’ve never subscribed to any picture hosting sites. Might have to finally bite the bullet.

1081 - 1100 of 1129 Posts