MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1161 - 1180 of 1230 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
10 C today so I had a look at things and decided to take the console off, I just couldn't get the switch out however hard I tried. The console came off relatively easily following this guide Centre console. - How to Remove, but of course, one of the the lower retaining clips broke, (as they do), Rimmer didn't have any but B&G had them in stock FWJ100260 RH and FWJ100270 LH - these are screwed in so I imagine they are replaceable because they can break so easily - I was very careful as well.The top clips, which are moulded to the surround came out without brakeage. With the console removed I was able to push out the switch, with some force mind you, and the console is sitting in my office waiting for a really good clean. Probably 10 days before I get the new clips, but the car is drivable. I was able to fix my front fog wiring (connecting pin 1 and 2 together) - plenty of space to do it, so the switch is now illuminated. I had wired in my own fog lighs but didn't connect pins 1 and 2 together - my mistake. By the way, the new rear fog switch did the job, I've now got rear fogs, but what a faff to get it done. Just waiting for B&G now. Next week having the Black Diamond front and rear pads fitted, so let's see if they make any difference to the braking.
Great news that you found a solution and everything is working. Clips do break. I invested in a set of plastic tools to help. I put it off for ages.Worth getting though I use them more than I thought I would.

·
Registered
MGTF 135
47 Posts
I've got a set of those plastic tools, they are great for things like removing the console and the door skins etc, etc.They are quite soft so no risk of damaging the plastic surfaces on the car, or scratching the paintwork. A really good cheap investment.

·
Registered
MGTF 135
47 Posts

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Fitted a replacement wiper motor and linkage, to replace the bag of spanners motor that was on the car.

I bought a late TF assembly and swapped over the electrical connectors to make it fit my very early F. Nice straightforward job and now everything is now lovely and quiet.

As my old linkage is still in great condition, I have stripped off and binned the motor and put the rest in my little MG stores area.

Reactions: PatM

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
Tinkered with my spare engine today. So far i have stripped and cleaned the head, fitted new valve stem seals, lifted the cylinder liners and resealed them with Hylomar, new upgraded oil rail, stripped, cleaned and refilled the hydraulic lifters, new Victor Reinz head gasket and head bolts, new cambelt and tensioner, new water pump. New coat of silver VHT paint on the sump, block and head and painted the cam cover bright red today as it was warm and breeze free. Nice little project and a great spare.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Gave the old girl some TLC yesterday.

She is now out of her Winter hibernation (a rented garage on the other side of town) , so deserved a little clean up to celebrate - oh yeah and a replacement wiper motor and linkage as the old one had decided it wanted give up the ghost during its hideaway period.

1995 MGF in Flame Red - 62,000 miles from new, but on its third head gasket - don't ask...
:lol:

Happy Easter everyone.

Reactions: Roverlike

·
Registered
742 Posts
Decided to clean out the engine bay, it had a lot of metallic rusty dust from when the subframe was sanded down and treated, and it give me a chance to try out my recently bought Worx Hydroshot cordless pressure washer! Its a cracking bit of kit, you can get an adaptor so you can use a pop bottle as a reservoir, just the job for putting a bit of detergent in.

Engine bay came up a treat with just a blasting off and a quick dry with a bit of rag.

Sundance

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tried to remove fuel by fitting test relay .failed to find relay .Found it now so prob try tmorow . Needs fresh fuel for MOT gas analysis Started to remove laquer from boot and bonnet .blistered in big places .carry on tmorow . Big wash and interior needed .

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
58 Posts
Well, after months of investigation (2 batteries, 2 alternators numerous cables and swear words) we finally sorted the battery drain on the late TF. It turned out ot be a combination of things, firstly a bad earth between engine and body and secondly a faulty alternator (new from ECP) that allowed a current drain of around one third of an Amp (0.3) which in combination meant no charge (alternator was only producing 3v) but charge light went out and battery discharged over night! Once this was done fitted the remote boot release and cleaned up the wear patches on the leather seats!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Threw my old seats out & fitted Honda Fit seats, They look way better but I am sitting slightly higher. Thinking about cutting some vents into bonnet.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
What a nice looking car! The MK1 black windscreen surround is a great contrast against the red bodywork.
1995 MGF in Flame Red - 62,000 miles from new, but on its third head gasket - don't ask...
:lol:

Happy Easter everyone.
Very nice! It is great to see such an early F in such good condition.

One thing I like about the MK1 MGFs is how well the black windscreen surround contrasts against the brighter paintwork colours like yours.

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
Replaced the rusty lock nuts on the steering track rod ends for stainless nuts. For anyone interested the thread size of the lock nut is M12 x 1.25 pitch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very little .painted the water pipes to thermostat housing .Cleaned up block and head surfaces ready for new HG. Phoned famous Mike S .re camshaft sprocket spring dowels are they a joke and bad fit.,? Make proper 6mm solid dowels .

·
Registered
11 Posts
The drivers seat is a little higher now too. There is a mechanism on the Fit drivers seat that allows you to make it higher or lower, But on the lowest setting it is about 1-2" higher than my original (though it was probably sagged a bit after 22 years)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Buying wild bird seed and them cam belt fit and finish off after this HGF .waiting for remote thermostat .will have to find T piece
for fitting into.rad hose .Anyone. done this at front ..? Getting fast at fitting inlet manifold

·
Registered
mg_tf
135 Posts
Hi Fiddler2

Not bought any bird seed recently but i did relocate the thermostat to the front just behind the rad. Swapped to the 82c stat to compensate for the extra volume of water. Works a treat and warm up is no longer than previous however i dont use the car during the winter. Bought a stainless T piece off the bay of fleas. 82c stat from Rimmers.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
736 Posts
I'm hoping to bring my F out of winter storage tomorrow (Friday), but need to finish rebuilding the Spitfire's engine first.

1161 - 1180 of 1230 Posts