MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1201 - 1220 of 1230 Posts

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
736 Posts
I started to reassemble the rear hub last night and when tightening up the lower arm to hub bolt to the correct torque, the threads from the hub stripped, great. I've got to get another LH rear hub or buy M12 x 1.75 helicoils. Augh.

I do have a friend that has a press but not the time to drop in on him for changing the bearing. I do have a mig welder and it is one of the most useful tools I have, it gets used fairly often; it's paid for itself several times over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That sucks man :(

I had successes in that I got the lighter socket out and found the blown fuse. I had failures in that I had to get a new battery and the wiring in the boot is fubar

·
Registered
41 Posts
Where abouts is that Fiddler2? It would need to be 8 for me to be able to afford but I'd love the opportunity to have access to a lift. And a mig - I'd love a working mig!
We are about full at the moment . I was suggesting the idea of a shared workshop storage wherever you are
Ours works out at £65 per.month per car .
South Liverpool .will let.people know when space free

·
Registered
23 Posts
We are about full at the moment . I was suggesting the idea of a shared workshop storage wherever you are
Ours works out at £65 per.month per car .
South Liverpool .will let.people know when space free
Way out of my area :) Good amount though - I just don’t know so many people interested in the area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I finished putting aluminium coolant pipes under my F The old ones had a pin hole in one of them. I had to flare the pipe as the first time I did it the rubber hose just slipped off when it got up to temp & pressure. I did it in 4 pieces of tube & just used the rubber for the bends in the front, I was able to throw a fair bit of the rubber hose out & made the tubes go closer to the radiator. It should add to the cooling capacity as well.
I cleaned the radiator out while I was at it too, it probably only had 60% of its tubes open. I used a long piece of copper to push gunk out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
TF hasn't moved for 6-7 weeks and is not garaged anymore (had to make room for better!) washed and waxed, oil and filter change (using funnel and hosepipe) all good....started first time time too. Bought a battery for the F which has been parked up on Parent's driveway for 10months, regular wash and wax but has not moved (well a little to move weight on tyres) got a new battery to go in and insured for £80 fully comp for the year, need to drive it this year once house arrest is over. Thinking of selling the TF.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, yesterday. Fitted ciggy lighter socket. What moron designed a car with a fabric top - and hence prone to leaks, puts the socket at a low point vertically mounted so things like coins can easily fall into it, and then thought 'best make it permanently live'.

Also without the plastic surround it's a bit dull, might cut the ring off and glue it in place.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well, yesterday. Fitted ciggy lighter socket. What moron designed a car with a fabric top - and hence prone to leaks, puts the socket at a low point vertically mounted so things like coins can easily fall into it, and then thought 'best make it permanently live'.

Also without the plastic surround it's a bit dull, might cut the ring off and glue it in place.
I was the first in the MGF world to discover and covert the lighter to light when the external lights are on. A easy mode.and to this day I can cannot understand why MG did not have this as standard - it only needed one additional wire!

The lighter should not be permanently live. It only goes live if the ignition key is not at 0 (ie Ignition OFF). My car is a 1998 VVC owned from new but perhaps MG changed this in later models?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think either they changed it or previous owner bodged something. Mines an 03 1.6.

a lot of people don’t put the lights on during the day which I guess is why not.

·
Registered
904 Posts
To be clear, the way the light modification should work is that the lighter itself works when NOT in position 0. The light bulb should only work when the side lights/ head lights are on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They are the worlds best cup holders, only useful when parked in perfectly flat place & you need to stay out of the car else you will bump your cup over. When the folder is down there is no space for your arm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They are the worlds best cup holders, only useful when parked in perfectly flat place & you need to stay out of the car else you will bump your cup over. When the folder is down there is no space for your arm.
If only I had it now. But Bristol 408 when you folded the passenger seat to let in rear passenger the seat hit the cigar lighter and pushed in . Good idea ? Ready to light up and settle for a ride .

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know it sd different .Fitted timing chain MGC .new type tensioner. . MGF is like working on a clock. C like a super traction engine . Quite tight to turn over ...there's 5 piston rings not helping .. Look

·
Registered
11 Posts
not a great car to work on the engine, That is for sure. I keep thinking about fitting a supercharger. But the lack of room puts me off

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
58 Posts
Changed the steering rack for a good one, been trying to find a knock for ages, then with son holding the steering wheel and me rocking the drivers side wheel it was apparent the inner track rod on the rack was gone, but only in one position. Unfortunately cannot get the inners so had to change the whole rack, going in today to have tracking checked.

1201 - 1220 of 1230 Posts