MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1301 - 1320 of 1357 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Got gear cable fitted to the 75th, changed underfloor coolant pipes to stainless, took off the bonnet catch and cover, de-rusted, primed and painted, whilst doing coolant pipes I decided to de-rust the strengthener plate - never seen one so rusty on the inside and outside :O treated strengthener plate with phosphoric acid before doing a coating or red oxide... I'll give it a few coats of black gloss before refitting.....still not done lower arm yet.

·
Registered
MGF vvc Poko
792 Posts
Ready to have a fight with my car. The resonator box has to go.

Fettled a method to attach cold air feed to trophy airbox. Not pretty but its not coming off in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Put another coat of paint on the underfloor strengthening plate, also fitted a new drivers side lower arm, was going to do both side but light went, hopefully will fit the passenger side lower arm tomorrow pending weather.

·
Registered
MGF vvc Poko
792 Posts
I finished my airbox, it was a pig. I couldn't attach the feeder pipe in situe as it was too tight and there wasn't much room.

In the end I had to change the method of attachment to something much less satisfying... putting a screw in it.

Can see my water rail is a bit scabby... i half wish I had bought a stainless one last time the head gasket went.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Still working on the 75th..... Fitted passenger side lower arm also refitted the underfloor strengthening plate while brother drilled, punched and picked out the seized bolt from a drop link! Later got the angle grinder out with wire wheel fitted to de-rust the front anti-rollbar and clamps before giving a coat of red lead...currently all hanging on a tree in the back garden :p

·
Registered
MGF vvc Poko
792 Posts
I painted many of my suspension components but that anti roll bar is looking a bit tired again. I guess it takes the brunt of any debris under the car. I sanded it clean and krust treated. Several coats of red oxide and then paint. (This was several years ago but not so many miles) looks rusty again.... I think next time I'll hammerite and see if its more durable.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Fitted new wings to the 75th, put a coat of black gloss on the anti rollbar and clamps...dropped off ramps, brother put his TF on ramps, he welded up his lower arm which had a large hole in the top, then he welded a new anti rollbar fitting to the front subframe as the original had rotted away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Put in the battery I charged overnight and drove it back from the docks in Douglas (Isle of Man) where it arrived two days ago. Needs a clean and the brakes are shocking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post in here.... usually only lurk on FB. Rescuing a 2001 Mpi F, Tahiti Blue, Black leather, 1 owner 30k miles.

Jobs done over that last few weekends: Cambelt, Water pump, Tensioner, Disks, pads, calipers, Fluids, Filters.

This weekend I ripped out my fuel pump while I await the replacement arriving, and replaced all the rusty bolts and screws under the bonnet with stainless. I also treated and smooth hammerited the horn brackets, rad brackets and bonnet catch. Pics to follow once I get her out in the sun and under bonnet all cleaned up..... 11 years of rest collects lots of dust even in a garage!!

Jobs remaining before MOT attempt.
Plugs
Oil

Then everything crossed she will pass!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Took the hardtop of the TF last Monday, full valet, lubed the clutch arm, oil/filter and then driven 200miles this week with the top down more to come when the sun is back again this Weds!

·
Registered
mg_tf
688 Posts
Not today, but yesterday afternoon.
Got followed by my own car!
Took daughter-in-laws Clio for MOT which it flunked, so went and fetched it it home to fix. I drove Clio ans the wife followed me home in the TF. What a great looking car the TF still is. All the way it was in my mirrors- low and sharp. If it wasn't my car already I'd have wanted to buy it :)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Took the soft-top off my 75th as I found it was the source of the leak filling the drivers side foot-well due to the person who fitted the glass screen to it doing a poor job of fitting the panel. Then took the hard top off my 2005 TF so I could remove the soft-top and fit onto my 75th...then fitted the 75th soft-top to the 2005 TF before refitting the hard top to it :p

My 2005 TF is a project for another day as is refitting the glass rear panel on the roof which is now fitted to it :)

1301 - 1320 of 1357 Posts