MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
638 Posts
I'm thinking of replacing my F's factory exhaust. From reading the early posts in this thread, I think I'd like to find a SP Performance exhaust. Any one have a SP exhaust kicking around that they would like to part with?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Mike Satur Daytoana, with oval tail pipe.
For an MGF there is nothing better.
The quad pipe I found ruining the MGF line, as is a bit too chav for my tastes.

Better sound. Great performance. If you can afford, buy the whole thing: from manifold, to backbox.
Even with the sport cat, I always pass MOT emission test.

·
Registered
mgf
638 Posts
My wife's F came with a Mike Satur Daytona system on it; great sound! But by the time I buy and ship to Canada it's just too expensive.

I'm still thinking about a Miltek Supersport, although it get's mixed reviews in terms of sound from what I have read. Toyo is the cheapest but a friend has it and it doesn't sounds as good as my stock system.

·
Registered
mgf
638 Posts
I'm now leaning towards a Phoenix system. Earlier in this thread, Scarlet Fever rated the Phoenix 9/10, with the note that he thought that the sound could become tiring on long journeys. Have others found the same?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Even the daytona become a bit annoying on long runs.
The MGF becomes annoying on long runs.
So I would worry much on this aspect.

I remembered that there also something called Scoprio TT MK7 or something along these lines. Possible sold from some guy on facebook.

·
Registered
mgf
638 Posts
I don't find the Daytona annoying on long runs, maybe it's my hearing deteriorating. I've fixed up the F enough that I find it the most comfortable car we have for touring, but I understand what you are saying DTA.

·
Registered
mgf
638 Posts
Personally, i have had the following:

SP Supersports = 9/10. Well made, good looking system. Not as adjustable (fit) as it could be, sounds very loud, and is quite high pitched (similar to an F1 wail). Noise is provokable, reasonably loud up to 4500rpm, over 4500rpm it gets much louder (great fun in tunnels, drop it down a cog and floor it to produce a loud bark from the exhaust!

MS Daytona = 9.5/10. Very well made, good looking system. Very adjustable from a fit point of view, it is also modular (standard silencer box with interchangeable tailpipe finishers). As with the SP, there is a change in tone / volume at 4500rpm, but the Daytona is a lower pitched grumble rather than a wail. Very impressed with this system and would still have it if it hadn't been damaged in the accident in 2003.

Phoenix = 9/10. Extremely well made (best i've seen) and also very good looking. Is modular like the Daytona and also very adjustable from a fit / alignment point of view. Steel appears to be a better grade than the others too, retaining it's shine and not discolouring at all. However, this system isn't as much fun, being a gradual, linear build in volume throughout, also it is a deep tone, meaning it can become tiring on long journeys. Sounds great from outside the car, but do a couple of hundred miles and you begin to tire of it a bit (well i do anyway). This is the only flaw i can find though and it's a subjective thing anyway.

Given my experiences with them, i'd happily recommend any of the three. :D
Okay, that's it, I'm going for a Phoenix exhaust. The Daytona is out of my budget (and its on my wife's F), and with the 15% off sale Rimmer is offering I can get it substantially cheaper than the Milltek quad on eBay (would have to buy and elbow to work on my Mk1 F).

·
Registered
mgf
638 Posts
I had it narrowed down between supersport and Phoenix and went for the Phoenix based on price. From what I could tell they both have a nice sound.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts