MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May seem like an odd question, but I have read various confusingly contradictory posts and articles on the net regarding the antifreeze appropriate to use in the MGF, standard blue glycol vs. OAT stuff.

I have to ask because the previous owner doesn't appear to have put any antifreeze in the car at all, what's in there looks and smells like plain old water. Not good to leave in there with autumn and winter ahead...

My car is a genuine original R reg Mk1 Abingdon 1.8 non VVC. Which antifreeze is correct for it ?

Especially important to get it right as the two different types of AF are not compatible with each other and if accidentally mixed they turn the coolant into a thick sludge with disastrous effects. Something I would very much like to avoid...

Anyone ?

·
Registered
868 Posts
My MGF VVC was originally R reg which makes yours the same as mine ie 1997/98. I have used OAT for years; I flushed several times the old type (Glycol) out back in circa 2004 before replacing it with OAT. I also changed the black label on the expansion bottle for the yellow (OAT) label.

·
In the Garage
mg_tf
32,807 Posts
The car given its age would have originally glycol but apparently but apparently there was an intention by MGR to convert all F’s that were serviced by MGR dealers to OAT.

If it was my car given that it sounds like there is just water in the system I would be inclined give the system a good flush and use OAT.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
My understanding is that you shouldn't use OAT type coolant in a car with steel/soldered parts...ie the radiator. The reason being that OAT additives are not very friendly to solder.

Therefore my 2004 MGTF, with its plastic/alloy radiator, had OAT and my 1995 MG RV8 with its older steel/soldered radiator has blue/green glycol. If I need to change the radiator to alloy then I will change coolant type too.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My understanding is that you shouldn't use OAT type coolant in a car with steel/soldered parts...ie the radiator. The reason being that OAT additives are not very friendly to solder.

Therefore my 2004 MGTF, with its plastic/alloy radiator, had OAT and my 1995 MG RV8 with its older steel/soldered radiator has blue/green glycol. If I need to change the radiator to alloy then I will change coolant type too.
My understanding is that you should not use OAT with copper/brass soldiered radiators/other components ('yellow metals'). Therefore I think that you can use OAT in any model in the MGF/TF range.

·
Registered
mgf
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bugger. Helpful and informative but complicates matters... the previous owner had a replacement radiator fitted and damned if I know what its construction is ! Time for a bit of front end jacking up and torch work I fear. Getting too old to be rolling around on the concrete these days. Ah well, no pain no gain. Thanks for the help chaps.

In passing, insurance renewal time coming up, in that context which is the best MG car club to join with the best insurance deals for MGF's... ?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I think the main issue here is the solder but there are many elements added to both solder and to coolants and I'm not a chemist!

I stated steel because the MGF radiator is steel cored and I've seen very rusty examples, whereas the TF radiator and most if not all replacements are alloy cored and not soldered.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have seen arguments around reducing the concentration of OAT - in the day there were discussions on the effects on rubber, head gaskets, gaskets generally, etal I am not at home to check whether Rover issued any tech bulletins on this.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I had a '97 R214, which used the blue antifreeze to start with, went to OAT as my other car used it, and then reverted back to blue as I inherited a quantity that otherwise would have been wasted. I flush as routine good practise between changes. At no point can I report radiators or gaskets melting due to chemical incompatability. Unless you have a quantity of old blue antifreeze to use up, I'd go for OAT as it has a longer life...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts