MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit to Windows 8 pro 64 bit. What a difference, 8 is much faster and even not that difficult to use, according to me, I find it easy even without the start button. I must admit though, the missing start button took a few hours to get used to and my brain overheated during those few hours, you know teaching an old dog new tricks and all that.

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
Provided you just use W8 in the way it was designed and not try to force it to look like XP then you will get on fine with it.

Does work more intuitively on a touch screen, but keyboard and mouse are fine after qan hour or two of playing with it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Personally I'm staying well away from windows 8. It's fine for tablets but not really idea on a laptop or desktop. To me, it's just Vista all over again.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Windows 8 has huge under the hood improvements over Windows 7. It's far from a repeat of Vista. It's noticeably quicker in all areas. Booting up is much quicker due to a hybrid sleep mode it uses, better SSD and multi-threading support, improved memory management.

The interface for it isn't suited to desktops at all though, but there are third party programs such as Start8, which adds a fully functional Start menu and allows the Windows 8 stuff to be disabled. Windows 8.2 is incorporating this in the update for it.

I was skeptical about Windows 8 at first, but got it up and running and bought a Start 8 license (think it works out at around £3), I couldn't be happier with it. After using it for several months now, I already think that Windows 7 is starting to look quite dated interface wise, lol. I've shut off all the Windows 8 interface stuff, and my PC boots straight to desktop with a full functional Start menu to access everything.

There's also a program called ModernMix that allows Windows 8 apps to run in an explorer window as it is annoying having some apps run full screen.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Personally I'm staying well away from windows 8. It's fine for tablets but not really idea on a laptop or desktop. To me, it's just Vista all over again.
That's what I used to think until I tried it and I now like it very much. Windows 8 is much faster and more stable than windows 7 and it is very easy to use too. I can still build and program my websites on it just as easily as I used to do on xp, vista and 7 ultimate 64 bit. Have you tried 8? You still have the desktop on windows 8 and it works.

I have an AMD radeon graphics card that used to crash on windows 7 ultimate 64 bit because AMD classed its drivers as legacy and refused to release updated drivers. Amazingly, this same graphics card is working on windows 8.1, with those very same legacy drivers, and it has never crashed even once.

Is the USB issue resolved yet ? I put it on but it had issues about USB so went back to win7 Ultimate :)
I have no usb issues at all. All usb ports are working fine.
Even dvd movie discs are playing on Power Dvd and windows media player, just like they did on the windows 7 ultimate 64 bit that I had.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've used it a fair bit, some clients that don't want to pay to downgrade to windows 7 soon change their minds!

I use Server 2012 every day which is basically Server 2008 that looks like Win8. Harder to find things, but getting used to it.

Really dislike all that online profile stuff with it. I know there is a method to get around it, but for most people, they assume that they have to create an online account to use it.

http://www.starkinsider.com/2014/01/microsoft-vista-deja-vu.html

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I've used it a fair bit, some clients that don't want to pay to downgrade to windows 7 soon change their minds!

I use Server 2012 every day which is basically Server 2008 that looks like Win8. Harder to find things, but getting used to it.

Really dislike all that online profile stuff with it. I know there is a method to get around it, but for most people, they assume that they have to create an online account to use it.

http://www.starkinsider.com/2014/01/microsoft-vista-deja-vu.html
1) You dont have to pay to downgrade to Win7, downgrade rights are included in a Win8 License.

2) Server 12 and 12R2 are very very different from 08R2, there is a huge improvement and plethora of new features including HA DHCP, full virtual DCs that support snapshots and best of all HA Hyper-v clusters no longer need a DC online to boot and enter the quorum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts