MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys/Girls,

Just been out to the F and it won't start. There's just a clicking sound when the key is turned (starter motor?).

Just called breakdown people but I'm only covered if car is more than half mile away. I said I would push it that far but he said no. I said a few choice words then rang a garage, they want £50+ callout fee.

Will the car start by bump start?

Is it the starter motor that has gone? Costs to fix?

I'm gonna wait a bit then get it towed a mile down the road then ring them up again and sayit's broken down away from home. What a game eh!!

Thanks

Lee

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Yep that sounds exactly like a flat battery to me as well.
As said before....if youve a battery charger or can borrow one,stick it on charge,or...if youve jump leads use them to start your car.Its must kinder on the car than bump starting.But it should bump start.(if it didnt bump start you will should still end up that half a mile away!)
When youve got it started,go for a drive of at least half an hour to fully charge the battery,and investigate why it went flat in the first place.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers Guys, just got home from a long drive down the M5. Bump start worked and I've started it a couple of times since stopping so yeah, you guys are spot on with the battery theory!!!

I'm sure the battery was replaced less than 3 years ago with a three year warranty so I'll be digging the receipt out now!!

Thanks again

Lee

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Glad youre up and running again.
Just to add to the things to look for.....my battery went flat after the boot lid didnt latch quite correctly so the boot lamp was on for several days!

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
I had the some problem last week..... not even a clicketyclick !

Bought a battery charger, charged and checked all connections. Result: Flat battery after 4 weeks of standing. Charged it, refitted and today a nice topless blast. Yuhuuu Red Sonya is back haha :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started OK last night and this morning, but I'm trying my best to park on hills every time, just in case! The battery was outside of the 3 year warranty - typical!

Went to see a local garage and the guy tested the battery, it was showing weak, he also checked alternator and that was OK. Ordered a new battery, also getting them to fix my squeaky suspension and they're also gonna pump it up a bit cos he said it looked a bit low.....

Lee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys/Girls,

Just been out to the F and it won't start. There's just a clicking sound when the key is turned (starter motor?).

Just called breakdown people but I'm only covered if car is more than half mile away. I said I would push it that far but he said no. I said a few choice words then rang a garage, they want £50+ callout fee.

Will the car start by bump start?

Is it the starter motor that has gone? Costs to fix?

I'm gonna wait a bit then get it towed a mile down the road then ring them up again and sayit's broken down away from home. What a game eh!!

Thanks

Lee
I have Rover 600 1997 with honda engine. Got a problem that won't it's got spark and fuel turns over just won't start.i read that problem with a relay on these could someone tell where the relay is at all

·
Registered
mg_tf
12 Posts
Sounds like a battery problem to me.

Have you tried jump starting it?

A bump start should also do the trick
Just as a side question I was told, no lectured by a local mechanic that in no way do you bump start a carwith a cat fitted. His reasoning was that a dose of neat fuel would be shot into the cat before it fired. Thus, causing endless problems when exhaust checked at MOT time. Having done the majority of my driving when a bump start was a normal part of starting a car I am left wondering if his words of wisdom were true or not.

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
Just as a side question I was told, no lectured by a local mechanic that in no way do you bump start a carwith a cat fitted. His reasoning was that a dose of neat fuel would be shot into the cat before it fired. Thus, causing endless problems when exhaust checked at MOT time. Having done the majority of my driving when a bump start was a normal part of starting a car I am left wondering if his words of wisdom were true or not.
My understanding is that if unburnt petrol enters the cat it should be burnt off with a good rev of the engine for a short time

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,500 Posts
I once had a problem with a cylinder(s) misfire in winter. It usually sorted itself out after a few minutes. One day travelling down the M5 the misfire became quite severe, probably two cylinders. The MIL light came on. Of course, people will say the MIL light means 'stop' immediately but I didn't fancy the hours of waiting for the rescue service and pressed on and although it improved eventually I suffered several minutes of the sort of horrible rough running and vibration you get when you lose two cylinders. I would imagine that I was putting unburnt fuel into the exhaust system as a result and the cat might well have been glowing red hot ;0) I didn't think of that at the time but the good news is that I sorted out the problem that weekend - it was two of the leads - and the car passes the MOT emissions test without problem to this day.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The condition of the timing belt would be more of a concern than a shot of fuel into the cat, a failing belt can easily loose teeth when bumping which could result in the timing to be thrown out causing bent valves or worse....and as someone who has had an F and a TF loose teeth on well overdue replacing timing belts I would never entertain bumping a car fitted with a belt...same goes for using the gears and engine braking

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The condition of the timing belt would be more of a concern than a shot of fuel into the cat, a failing belt can easily loose teeth when bumping which could result in the timing to be thrown out causing bent valves or worse....and as someone who has had an F and a TF loose teeth on well overdue replacing timing belts I would never entertain bumping a car fitted with a belt...same goes for using the gears and engine braking
Did a guy down the pub tell you this or did you read it on the Internet?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Bump starts were not recommended on MGFs many years ago and then the advice 'died away'. Interesting to hear someone confirm this advice so many years later with their own experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts