MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of getting some 135 cams for a ZR 1.4.. I think some point i will be converting it to a 1.6 so its not pointless before someone says it :lol:

I was just wondering if you can use standard cam sprockets with 135 cams? or do you have to have uprated sprockets like if you use piper 277 cams..?

Cheers
Chaz

·
Premium Member
6,527 Posts
For modding your 1.4 you need to speak to Mr wallsy1703.

he has cammed his and also upgraded to a 1.6, so he should be able to answer your questions :)

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeahh im just about to drop him a PM.. I remembered after i made this thread that he has done all this :lol:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I see no point in buying a 1.4 but if you own the 1.4 and you like your car you may aswell modify it :)

But saying that i think if you really want a ZR to modify it has to be a diesel... Alot of potential and probably wont get HGF :L

·
Registered
942 Posts
The 1.4 engines can be tuned for fairly impressive gains, the problem is the cost which would weigh in the same as slapping in a 1.8/1.8vvc or even a T16 conversion.

A few 1.4 turbos are floating about as well and are rapid.

Also the other issue with the 1.4 (and the 1.6) is the R65 gearbox, they ain't exactly the strongest gearbox around and if you spend loads of doe on getting the engine tuned up then the box may not be able to take the extra power. So a PG1 box would be required if you really want to go for maximum performance, but then you may as well put a 1.8vvc engine in.

Funnily enough I was thinking about those cams in a 1.4 the other day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm putting 135 Cams in my 1.4, why ?

Why not, w
I see no point in buying a 1.4 but if you own the 1.4 and you like your car you may aswell modify it :)

But saying that i think if you really want a ZR to modify it has to be a diesel... Alot of potential and probably wont get HGF :L
nothing wrong with the 1.4 mine was and still is a great car. 1.4k revs very well and loves it.

why not eh?
I think it will be interesting to see what you can get out of the 1.4 tbh.. People say its pointless modding it.. but not if you want to prove a point ;)
I’m thinking of doing the same to mine, this was the only ZR I could find in this colour, I don’t want to spoil it too much 😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts