MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fox
I have a problem with this car since i bought it
It's electrical for sure because i know around mechanic and cant deal with.

Found here a lot of possibilities what can be but no final solution

From start sometimes car wont unlock doors on button in cabin
Sometimes i can not start car, it's crank but not start
One's the wipes self start, and speedo and rev dont work

Usually i take off earth from battery and leave it for some time and after it's working.
Now even that won't help

When key is turned on lights on dashboart are dim, button for aircone is ON, it's crank but won't start
Immo light is no flashing, fob is no working when try to lock/unlock, and fuel pump a can't hear
Battery is good
Every earth i check and it's good
I dont have EKA number to try even that (to reset immo)

Does anybody have the same problem?
Immo?
ECU?
SCU and pektron relay?

I am a good mechanic but not electrician and dont know how to fix it.
Another two cars are opel/vauxhall corsa 1.2 and astra v6 and they are a little kid when compared to this :)

·
Super Moderator
12,358 Posts
Dimmed dash lights usualy point to bad earth connection. Which earth connection you checked? One on slam panel is usualy the weakest one. Then, one on the left wing. Check connections to starter and alternator as well. Clean them for better connection.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,746 Posts
As above really, that earth strap on the front slam panel to the battery Negative Terminal has caused a starting issue for several of my cars, the starter wiring being loose has cropped up for me too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

I check slam panel earth (3 connections there) and big one from battery to starter and it's ok.

But where is that earth on left wing? And i will check connection earth for alternator too
Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just had this problem, spent ages checking earthing, the boot cables, gearbox etc got an auto electrician out, found it was the contacts in the ignition module at the back of ignition barrel, it's a pig to remove one of the screws that hold it in, not had chance for a proper go at it yet. Try forcing the key in the ignition and applying pressure in different positions and wiggle it about , if it suddenly lights up and starts, that's your issue, he also tightened the lugs on the brown plug to the right of the ignition, so mine works intermittently

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just had this problem, spent ages checking earthing, the boot cables, gearbox etc got an auto electrician out, found it was the contacts in the ignition module at the back of ignition barrel, it's a pig to remove one of the screws that hold it in, not had chance for a proper go at it yet. Try forcing the key in the ignition and applying pressure in different positions and wiggle it about , if it suddenly lights up and starts, that's your issue, he also tightened the lugs on the brown plug to the right of the ignition, so mine works intermittently
Bro i read your post then and try that but no success..
And yesterday found a little time...just get in the car, switch the key and he start up.
No idle but thats mechanic problem and will fix that..

Now.. i want to change that five relay but also disarm immo..
No have EKA code..

How to get that code or is another way to turn immo off?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S O L V E D

Flip man you was right
First i check ignition and was ok...then few days later try something alse and ignition again and there was problem.

Open ignition switch and clean it a little but will change it to be sure in future

Man i own you (y)
Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts