MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ZS180 Fitting New VIS Valves, Manifold, Plugs & Catch Tank -Pic HEAVY!

Oh well have i had a friggin day or what!

OK, plan was, fit VIS valves to see if it cures me rattle, if not, fit new manifold, fit new plugs, while im there, and fit me oil catch tank. Did everything go to plan?

Did it ******! :ts:

Right, so, first off, i wanted to see if it was the VIS valves causing me rattle before i went and started taking off manifolds. So, off i went....

That one bloody screw is a right pain in the backside. SO made myself a little tool to make life easier lol

Once this screws out, the rest is EASY PEEZY!

Old ones:

New Ones:

All fitted!

RATTLE STILL THERE!!!!!! :slap:

OK, so, luckily (or so i thought) my buddy got me an inlet manifold off a friend of a friend off a Freelander lmao AWESOME i thought, ill fit that with me new VIS valves! :bgrin2:

Oh yeah right!

So, of i went, taking the other manifold off, disconected all the loom, plugs, vacummes, throttle etc etc etc

and it looks like this:

SORTED! Thats was EASY!!!!!

Went to fit the new one..................

Errrr.....................Its COMPLETELY different! Theres a lesson for you. Dont think your clever and fit a Freelander one - it dont fit lmao!

BALLS!!!!!!!:eek:mg2:

OK, now what sherlock as i dont wanna spend time fitting my old one back on as its fubard!

Head scratchin, head scratchin! :errx2:

Lets open my old one up and see whats inside!

Easy, ill just unscrew these 10 screws and ill be able to get in there - WRONG! That cover is welded on with some superhuman glue! Would not come off without brute forse!

"OH Maaaaaaaaaaan" :eek:mg2:

Sod it, i dont wanna butcher my manifold as its the right one. I need to butcher the new one as its the wrong friggin one anyway.

So, made me a super sharp knife out of some steel i had lying about and off i went on my butchering ways . After 2 solid hours of hammering it to death and going through more screwdrivers than.........i dunno.....i went through a lot of screwdrivers lol

POP!

Off fell the cover

I'm in - YIPPPPPPPPPPY!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

Arse! These valve thingies here are sealed, i cant take them out and put them in mine!

GUTTED!

Sod it, im gonna have to put mine back on arnt i?

In walks me dad!

I say to him, "look at this dad, the arm in my manifold is moving so badly and look at the arm in the new one. Mines buggered, what am i gonna do."

So what does me dad do? Pulls the arm in my manifold SO it falls off inside! :eek:mg2:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Oh my god! Now i have NO manifolds!

Sod it, mines got to come apart now. So, another million hours later, off pops the cover and out pops the arm. Loom at the state of this:

No wonder it fell bloody off. Theres hardly anything left of it! Them nice little round cylinder bits that clip onto the valve thingies are no more lol theyve all just cracked or fallen to pieces. One of them was even twisted!

OK batman, what ill do, is ill put my new arm onto my manifold. See if that cures it. All clipped on nice and tight:

Gave it a clean, along with the lid and the throttle body

Got me some RTV and sealed it back up.

So, while im waitin for the RTV. i fit me new tripple prong plug things

Out with the old, in with the new:

Now its gettin MEGA dark and im absolute shattered lol :yawn:

But i thought id give me catch tank ago. I dont think ive plumed it right lmao so im gonna change it tomorrow - DOH! Thats what you get for working tired and hungry - plus im starting to stink lol

So, so far, the idea is there, just need to change me pipes lol

Right, so seen as ive made a rookie mistake (my first catch tank EVER lol) im off to bed and ill see if ive cured me rattle tomorrow morning and ill sort me catch tank out!

Comments welcome lol :getcoat:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you look at them, there IDENTICAL!, when you fit them. Its a WHOLE other story. The nipple is missing for that vacum type breather which comes off the fuel rail, there is a sensor missing and the throttle body doesnt fit lol i gave up looking for anything else that was wrong lol

Ill show you pics 2moz as now im in me nice warm bed lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
apologies for my language :-/ Just one of those LONG days lol

I've never worked on one of these before. There not all that hard really. Dont know why i was so scared of it lol

We will see if im saying the same when/ if i do the belts lol

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Those plenums are a challenge to separate aren't they! :lol:

I have three in my garage in various states of disrepair!

I keep talking about making a new arm but never seem to find the time. The fit and quality of the whole assembly is cheap and very poor.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,274 Posts
Congrats to you for having the bottle to take your plenum apart.

Whne re-assembling, I suggest that you add a lot more screws to hold it together in the hope that it will not leak. Use number 4 self tapper - about 3mm diameter and drill a hole no smaller then 2.5 mm to tap them into. Maybe a bit bigger if they are too tight. With respect to sealaing, probably silicone is OK as it will fill the gaps - If you can get the joints very clean - try brake cleaner.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that glue dont come of for ****** does it lol took AGES for me to even get it lookin "kinda" respectable lol i managed to get the same stuff used by MG to seal it all back together and ive left it in the house over night. Havin me breaky in a min and then off to see if it works. Wish me luck :taz:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Erm.....i probably should not say this, but when i repaired my VIS motors and refitted them, there was a rattle for a few minutes and i thought the same thing. In fact it sounded worse!

I took the car up the road and back, and now i have not heard a rattle for two weeks! Quiet as a mouse!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and by gosh its bloody worked lol feels like a TOTALLY different car. Really responsive, pulls like a train and no more annoyin rattle :bgrin:

Happy days! Not bad for a girlie eh :cool:

More pics to follow

·
Registered
mg_zs
172 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, I have just done the same as you lou, and boy is it a PAIN in the arse getting the manifold apart, i got 2 hours in and thought OHHHHHH God what have i got myself into Im NEVER gonna get this apart, but eventually got in there and mine was in the same sort of state as yours. Unfortunately I wasnt as prepared as you with some replacement internals, but dont the butterflies only open at higher rpm and the WHOLE mechanism PURELY for fuel econemy reasons, i gutted mine comepletely and resealed and feels A LOT better than it did before, but then again it could be my imagination running wild as the tapping noise has gone YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

·
Registered
mg_zs
364 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, I have just done the same as you lou, and boy is it a PAIN in the arse getting the manifold apart, i got 2 hours in and thought OHHHHHH God what have i got myself into Im NEVER gonna get this apart, but eventually got in there and mine was in the same sort of state as yours. Unfortunately I wasnt as prepared as you with some replacement internals, but dont the butterflies only open at higher rpm and the WHOLE mechanism PURELY for fuel econemy reasons, i gutted mine comepletely and resealed and feels A LOT better than it did before, but then again it could be my imagination running wild as the tapping noise has gone YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The butterflies open at approx 3000 rpm but depending on throttle position aswell, when you take out all the insides out of the plenum you will result in lack of torque and possibly your fuel consumption will go up as you will find you have to change gear more often as the car will have no pull low down in high gears

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol its all fun and games isnt it lol flamin nightmare :-(

Yeah, mine feels MUCH MUCH better than before. A vast improvement and well worth all the stress in my opinion.

My next job, is fiting me ZS extreme spoiler (as i dont have one :) ) Watch this space :)

·
Registered
mg_zs
172 Posts
yea totally. I have the extreme spoiler but not too sure about it. minesthe saloon not sure if they do t exrtreme spoiler for the hatch but everytime i look at h from side on, i cant help thinking the curves would look better without. I know this is wrong thread to end up talking about this, but does anyone have a zs180 saloon without any spoiler?, as would be interested to see the outcome.

·
Registered
mg_zs
172 Posts
I must say also, your right about low end feeling a little lower on the power, it reminds me of my previous car a civic type r. get to 5900rpm then ALLL te power kicks in, as my zs180 now lacks then early mid range all of a sudden pulls like a tank. even tho its not ideal its better than a £500+ bill forthe time being and GOD tht tapping was soo hurrendously annoyin and embarassing. sounded like i was driving a 99pence banger!!!!!!!!!! haa

·
Registered
mg_zs
184 Posts
Yeah mine had a knackered balance valve that was not closing and now its fixed it also feels down on power at the low end, I put it donw to the fact that there is 2 plenums now so it is effectivly a different engine to the single plenum setup I had before. Also you can put your foot down in 5th at just over 1k and feel it pull, its not noisey or fast but you can feel it is beter.

·
Registered
mg_zs
364 Posts
Yeah mine had a knackered balance valve that was not closing and now its fixed it also feels down on power at the low end, I put it donw to the fact that there is 2 plenums now so it is effectivly a different engine to the single plenum setup I had before. Also you can put your foot down in 5th at just over 1k and feel it pull, its not noisey or fast but you can feel it is beter.

how have you got 2 plenums on ?

·
Registered
36,410 Posts
... Not bad for a girlie eh :cool:...
Lou, if you are a woman I hope you will pounce on the posters who say sexistly that "girlies" are no good at cars!

However, did you learn your car maintenance at sailors' night school? (judging by your language lol)

You registered in 2006 - you are really making your posts count! :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts